developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
Why is it Important?
Residents who had higher levels of burnout tended to be those who were lonely.9
Social contact frequency is slightly though significantly related to a decrease in all-cause mortality.10
Poor social network factors, especially social isolation, were associated with increased depression and anxiety.11
Information and Resources
IUSM student interest groups are an excellent way to meet and connect to students with similar interests.
IUSM Class Facebook pages can keep you up to date on events and SIG meetings.
This map of places to visit in Indiana is full of opportunities for adventure.
Loneliness can have detrimental effects on your health. Here are some ways to address loneliness.
Get some friends together for an affordable group activity.
- Once a week, reach out to a family member or a friend and talk about how things in your life are going. It’s important to maintain your support network.
- Join a few SIGs and attend the events.
- Make time to see friends and go to social events.
- Study with friends so that you have an opportunity to socialize.
- If you study best alone, turn your daily habits into social activities (ex: go to the gym, cook dinner, run errands, etc. with friends).