Career Development Program Checklist
1) Meet with the Career Development Team as Needed
Update the team on your interview progress once you begin accepting interviews. Also work with the team to review a sample CV and optimize your application and CV materials.
2) Stay on Track
Follow the Preparing for Residency Timeline on this page and stay up to date with Match on My Mind updates.
3) Take Time for Self-Assessment and Reflection
Schedule recurring check-in meetings with your lead advisor
4) Explore Careers
Schedule recurring meeting with your career mentor(s) and the Career Development team.
5) Work on Professional Development
Attend Group Mentoring Sessions (Introduction to ERAS and NRMP, CV preparation, Personal Statement preparation, how to select and evaluate residency programs)
6) Practice with Mock Interviews
Work with the Career Development team to practice interview skills.
7) Prepare for Residency
Attend Transitions 3
Preparing for Residency Timeline
September: Register with the National Residency Match
Register with the National Residency Match Program. Applications are due in ERAS by September 15.
October–January: Interviewing Process
MSPEs and transcripts will be released around October 1. Mock interview sessions will be available through the career development team. Review interview trail etiquette to prepare, and visit AAMC Interviewing for more advice.
You can also use the residency program evaluation guide and residency preference exercise to make your decision. Don’t forget to update your interview progress so the career mentor team and your lead advisor can help you ensure your residency match.
Worried that a program is in violation with NRMP match and interview policies? The NRMP has created a Violation Report Form for Applicants to make it easier to report program violations and Tulane university put together an NRMP match and interview policy guide.
January–February: Submit Rank Order List
Rank order lists are available in the beginning of January. The list must be certified by the February deadline.
March: Match Week
Students across the country learn their match placement during Match Week. Learn more about the Match Day process, FAQs and more at the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) website.
- IU School of Medicine career mentor request form: Request a mentor in you chosen specialty.
- Match on My Mind: Weekly tips to prepare for Match Day and residency.
- Sample CV: Professional CV template.
- Career Consultation and Application Tips: Guide from Career Development team.
- Noteworthy Characteristic Themes: For Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) letters.
- IU HOST Program: Provides free housing in residency interview cities and supplies local insight, networking and mentoring.
- NRMP: National Resident Matching Program, a private, not-for-profit corporation established in 1952.
- Residency Resource Portal: A collection of links, data and reports that provides a good starting point for residency selection and applications.
- ERAS: Electronic Residency Application Service, a program of the AAMC.
- FREIDA: Online database with information about more than 8,700 graduate medical education programs.
- Careers in Medicine: A career planning program designed to help you choose a medical specialty as well as select and apply to a residency program. This is a highly recommended resources produced by the AAMC specifically for medical students.
- AAMC Webinar Recording, July 7, 2020 – Effectively Utilizing Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- AAMC Webinar Recording, July 15, 2020 – AAMC Tools for a Successful Residency Application.
- Alumni Connections: We have a robust IUSM alumni network! Connect with an alumni who has an affiliation with a residency program you are considering to have your questions about the program answered.
- IUSM Match Data By Specialty — To find out where IUSM graduates matched during the last 5 years for a particular specialty.
- IUSM Match Data By Location — To find out what specialties IUSM graduates matched into at a particular location.
- Mock Interview Resources:
- Preparing for Virtual Residency Interviews – Webinar Recording, September 29: <Click the link to go to this recording and sign-in using your AAMC account. You can also find the recording in your Dashboard after you’ve logged in the AAMC website.
- Putting your Best Face Forward — Zoom Interviewing Tips Video with Media Industry Expert. (Access Passcode: 4n50@p^M) Ms. Kimberly Patterson has over 24 years experience working in TV, video, advertising, news, as a makeup artist expert. For 10 years she worked for Oprah Winfrey and has been a successful in her trade as a freelance expert. Discussed during the session: lighting, background, camera angle, grooming, etc.