- Best Practices for Requesting Event Money
- IUPUI Funding
- Wellness Funding
- Regional Campus Funding
- MSC Funding
- Funding Request Form
Best Practices for Requesting Event Money
- Plan on spending approximately $5 per person for lunch and 8$ per person for dinner
- For pizza: budget for 2 pieces of pizza per person (large pizza usually has 8 slices)
- SIGs are capped at $500 of MSC funding per semester
Student leaders are encouraged to look at external grant sources and fundraising opportunities as well. Please note that certain university regulations may apply to certain types of fundraisers (e.g. raffles). If you have questions about this, please contact the MSC treasurer.
To request Wellness Coalition funding, submit a request form.
Regional Campus Funding
Requests for funding from the campus student activities funds should be made using the processes below. Depending on the request, students may be able to seek funding through the local university campus as well.
- Contact(s): Peter Nalin, MD, Bloomington campus dean.
- What is eligible: SIGs, social events, conferences, summer programs (if no stipend is offered) and student events (based on Dean’s discretion).
- Process: Email Peter Nalin the fund request and keep receipts for reimbursement.
- Contact(s): David Elkins, Evansville assistant director, finance and operations.
- What is eligible: SIGs, social events and service projects.
- A student activities funding committee (five students and lead advisor) outlines a budget.
- Funding application will be approved/denied by the committee, then passed to David Elkins for final approval. The funds are refunded, or paid directly by IU School of Medicine-Evansville administration.
- If you would like to propose a project, complete this form and submit it to the Service-Learning representative for your class.
- Contact(s): Gina Bailey, Fort Wayne assistant director of program development.
- What is eligible: Social events, SIGs, presentations, interprofessional events, service projects.
- Process: Use form from Canvas/office, submit for approval to Gina.
- Contact(s): Ila Verneman, Muncie administrative coordinator.
- What is eligible: SIGs, committees, center upgrades and any activity that is available for all the students.
- Process: Obtain a funding form from the Muncie administrative office and submit the form to the tech/activity committee (composed of students and a dean) for a vote of denial or approval.
- Contact(s): Patrick W. Bankston, PhD, Northwest-Gary campus dean, or Dawn Ilgenfritz, director of operations and finance.
- What is eligible: SIG meetings, travel for conferences and wellness events.
- Process: Committee and SIGs create proposal with activities committee, proposals are discussed, if passed, requests go to Dawn and the dean.
- Contact(s): Mark. F. Fox, MD, PhD, MPH, South Bend campus director.
- What is eligible: Service learning, student life, informal student skill workshops, intramural sports, College and House tailgate.
- Process: An executive committee (Borger, Fox and class reps) approves of student requests of funds.
- Contact(s): Dylan Rupska
- Contact(s): Natalie O’Neal, office secretary.
- What is eligible: SIGs and service.
- Process: The student in charge of organizing the event fills out a funding form, which is then turned into the Student Activities Committee (SAC). The SAC ensures that it meets the criteria in the SAC constitution and then votes on the proposed funding. If the SAC approves funding, the form is signed by the treasurer, who then turns the form over to Dr. Kreisle (campus director). If Dr. Kreisle agrees that the event meets requirements to be funded, she signs it and the event gets funded.
Every student contributes to a mandatory general fee that can then be used for student activities and events to enrich the experience of medical school. Indianapolis campus student fees are routed through IUPUI first, which then allocates a given amount to MSC once each semester.
The total budget runs between $10,000–$12,000 per year. These funds are shared by more than 50 student groups, so funding requests should be submitted at least four weeks prior to desired use and costs should be minimized. SIGS should plan on spending no more than $500 each year.
If the funding request is approved, students must submit all the required materials within 48 hours of the event using this reimbursement form. Submit the hospitality form in the form of an excel document
- An itemized invoice or itemized receipt showing proof of payment (cannot be a balance due statement).
- Legal name, user id and the address the check should be mailed to (if a personal reimbursement) must be provided.
- A copy of the approval email issued to the student group by the Treasurer of Medical Student Council