Best Practices for Planning & Requesting Funding for an Event
All events that require funding must be submitted for approval at least four weeks ahead of time.
If you are hosting an in-person event, the following steps must take place:
- The rules for Covid-19 for event approval no longer apply. COVID rules for event approval no longer apply.
- If your event is >50 people, submit an IU Events Request Form. Guidelines for these events are here.
- If you are SIG registered on the Spot (The Den, IUPUI’s official group website), you ALSO need to register your event on the Spot located on the theden.iupui.edu.
- Requests for student activity and technology funding is standardized for all campuses. Please use these forms and work with your campus committees and dean for approval. The staff contact person for each campus is listed below.
- Regional campuses – refer to regional campus leadership for specific additional forms for your campus.
- Please be prepared to complete several steps for each type of funding.
- Plan on spending approximately $10 per person for lunch and $12 per person for dinner (with the exception of pizza; which is currently NOT an option).
- For pizza: budget for 2 pieces of pizza per person (large pizzas usually have 8 slices).
- Per IU policy, we cannot purchase gift cards or vouchers.
- We cannot host raffles or other “gambling”-like events.
- SIGs are capped at $500 of MSC funding per semester
Student leaders are encouraged to look at external grant sources and fundraising opportunities as well. Please note that certain university regulations may apply to certain types of fundraisers (e.g. raffles). If you have questions about this, please contact the MSC treasurer.
Funding on the IUPUI Campus
Regional Campus Funding
Requests for funding from the campus student activities funds should be made using the processes below. Depending on the request, students may be able to seek funding through the local university campus as well.
- Contact(s): Dr. Robert D. Sweazey, Assistant Director, IUSM Fort Wayne
- Gina Bailey, Fort Wayne assistant director of program development.
- Requests for student activity and technology funding is standardized for all campuses. Please use these forms and work with your campus committees and dean for approval.
- Contact(s): Tammy Dixon, Operations Manager
Each year tuition monies are allocated for student activities and events to enrich the experience of medical school. A student activities funding committee meets monthly to oversee the process for allocating these funds for events. The committee consists of 4-6 students (across all four class years), one staff member, and two administrators. Common requests for funding support wellness events, educational events, and other student-led activities.
In order to request funding from the student activities funding committee, please follow these steps:
- Check to see if the company/organization you are working with is an approved supplier/vendor through Buy.IU. You can do this by emailing email@example.com or checking with the vendor. If they are not an approved supplier they must become one to receive payments. Please consult with firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate the set-up for them to become a supplier through Buy.IU.
- Fill out this form, which will be routed to the student activities funding committee for approval. Please allow four weeks for approval.
- Once approved, you must submit an invoice from the supplier, an expected attendee list, and proof of event approval to Kim Macey for payment to the supplier. Kim will work with you to complete a hospitality request form. If you need supplies and/or food please work with Kim to order those well in advance (at the very minimum two business weeks’ time).
- After the event you must proAfter the event, you must provide an updated attendee list to Kim Macey.
Please note! We do not supply funding for gift cards or vouchers. We also cannot reimburse students for any fees they pay with their own monies. All events must be paid for by IUSM. This is why it is imperative that requests are made in a timely manner.
Tuition monies are allocated for student activities and events to enrich the experience of medical school. MSC receives an allocation each semester.
These funds are shared by more than 50 student groups, so funding requests should be submitted at least four weeks prior to desired use and costs should be minimized. SIGS should plan on spending no more than $500 each year.
If the funding request is approved, students must submit all the required materials within 48 hours of the event using this reimbursement form. Submit the hospitality form in the form of an excel document. The form to request MSC funding can be found below.
- An itemized invoice or itemized receipt showing proof of payment (cannot be a balance due statement).
- Legal name, user id and the address the check should be mailed to (if a personal reimbursement) must be provided.
- A copy of the approval email issued to the student group by the Treasurer of Medical Student Council