Best Practices for Planning & Requesting Funding for an Event
All events that require funding must be submitted for approval at least six weeks ahead of time.
If you are hosting an in-person event, the following steps must take place:
- The rules for Covid-19 for event approval no longer apply. COVID rules for event approval no longer apply.
- If your event is >50 people, submit an IU Events Request Form. Guidelines for these events are here.
- Policies & Guidelines for student activity and technology funding is standardized for all campuses. Please use these forms and work with your campus committees and dean for approval. The staff contact person for each campus is listed below.
- Regional campuses – refer to regional campus leadership for specific additional forms for your campus.
- Please be prepared to complete several steps for each type of funding.
- Plan on spending approximately $10 per person for lunch and $12 per person for dinner.
- For pizza: budget for 2 pieces of pizza per person (large pizzas usually have 8 slices).
- Per IU policy, we cannot purchase gift cards or vouchers.
- We cannot host raffles or other “gambling”-like events.
- Contests, Drawings, Games, and Prizes
- SIGs are capped at $500 of MSC funding per semester.
Funding on the IUPUI Campus
Regional Campus Funding
Requests for funding from the campus student activities funds should be made using the processes below. Depending on the request, students may be able to seek funding through the local university campus as well.
- Contact(s): Dr. Robert D. Sweazey, Assistant Director, IUSM Fort Wayne
- Gina Bailey, Fort Wayne assistant director of program development.
- Requests for student activity and technology funding is standardized for all campuses. Please use these forms and work with your campus committees and dean for approval.
- Contact(s): Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Each year tuition monies are allocated for student activities and events to enrich the experience of medical school. A student activities funding committee meets monthly to oversee the process for allocating these funds for events. The committee consists of 4-6 students (across all four class years), one staff member, and two administrators. Common requests for funding support wellness events, educational events, and other student-led activities.
In order to request funding from the student activities funding committee, please follow these steps:
- Check to see if the company/organization you are working with is an approved supplier/vendor. You can do this by emailing email@example.com.
- If the vendor will require a signature on a contract, obtain a copy prior to requesting funding. You will be asked to upload a copy of the contract along with the funding request form.
- Obtain a quote from the vendor itemizing what they are supplying and the cost. If you are asking for supplies, please create a list of items, costs, and purchasing links prior to requesting funding. This information will be required to attach to the funding request form.
- To request funds from Student Activities scroll to the bottom of this page and click the “Submit a Funding Request” button to log in with your IU credentials and fill out the form. Please allow at least four weeks for funding approval and event planning approvals.
Please note! We do not supply funding for gift cards or vouchers. We also cannot reimburse students for any fees they pay with their own money. All events must be paid for by IUSM. This is why it is imperative that requests are made in a timely manner.
Tuition monies are allocated for student activities and events to enrich the experience of medical school. MSC receives an allocation each semester. These funds are shared by more than 50 student groups, so funding requests should be submitted at least four weeks prior to desired use and costs should be minimized. SIGS should plan on spending no more than $500 each year.
Reimbursements are NOT permitted.