For information on travel grants to attend National Scientific Meetings, it is encouraged to check if the conference is offering any travel grants. Additionally, check with your PI/mentor if he/she has funds or can help you get funds from their department or section. Below are the options available at IU School of Medicine and IUPUI. If you have any questions, please send inquiries to email@example.com or contact Dr. Brittney-Shea Herbert.
IUSM Dean Office’s Medical Student Travel Grants
The IMPRS Office has funds for Medical Student Travel Awards. The purpose of the fund is to help medical students defray the cost of attending regional or national scientific meetings to present their scientific research or other scholarly work as a poster or oral presentations.
A review committee will evaluate the applications on a competitive basis three times within the academic year and a limited number of awards are available in each cycle due to the limited available funds.
This is a competitive process. Therefore, submitting an application does not guarantee funds will be granted. Be mindful when making the travel plans. Please contact Brittney-Shea Herbert or Anne Nguyen directly for more information or if you have questions related to the travel grants.
- Must be enrolled as an IU School of Medicine medical student in good standing.
- Must be the presenting author (first author) of the poster or platform session at a national/international meeting. Only one person can be first author and be presenting a talk or poster. Note: We will only accept one application per presentation.
- Students who have received IU School of Medicine travel funding in the past, or a major award from the IMPRS program, are ineligible to apply.
- Maximum requested amount is $500.
- It is expected that the faculty mentor or department, in which the research or scholarly work was done, to contribute to the support of the student’s travel.
- Awards can only be applied to: registration fee; transportation; hotel accommodations.
- You may only submit a travel grant for one conference and one presentation per academic year.
- If you have been awarded the grant, you are asked to submit proof of attendance in order to receive the funds in your Bursar account. Upon your return, please submit a 1/2 page synopsis of conference and receipts (registration, airfare, and/or hotel accommodations).
- Cycle 1: Deadline September 30
- Cycle 2: Deadline December 31
- Cycle 3: Deadline March 31
Applications will be reviewed after the cycle submission due date.
To apply, fill out the application form, upload a copy of abstract and copy of official acceptance/notification (if applicable) to present for selection process. Applications will be reviewed after the cycle submission due date. If awarded, funds are granted as reimbursements after you return from your trip and the required documentations are submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
IUPUI Graduate Office
The Fellowship Committee has set aside funds for Travel Fellowships to assist full-time graduate students in attending a meeting or conference relevant to their degree program to present their research. The maximum sum awarded to any student is $1000. Mentors are strongly encouraged to review their student’s applications and to provide funding to the student to facilitate travel to the meeting. This is a competitive process and submitting an application does not guarantee funds will be awarded.
Guidelines, requirements and the application can be found on the IUPUI Graduate Office Travel Fellowship website.
Office of Diversity Affairs
To apply for the Office of Diversity Affairs travel grant, download the Trainee Travel Grants Application form.
For information on travel grants to attend National Scientific Meetings, it is encouraged to check if the conference is offering any travel grants. IU and IUPUI have limited travel funds available. For additional information, eligibility and deadlines, please visit the Graduate and Professional Educational Grants (GPEGs) sites.