For information on travel grants to attend National Scientific Meetings, it is encouraged to check if the conference is offering any travel grants. Additionally, check with your PI/mentor if he/she has funds or can help you get funds from their department or section. Below are the options available at IU School of Medicine and IUPUI. If you have any questions, please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Dr.Brittney-Shea Herbert.
IUSM Dean Office’s Medical Student Travel Grants
The IMPRS Office has funds for Medical Student Travel Awards. The purpose of the fund is to help medical students defray the cost of attending regional or national scientific meetings to present their scientific research or other scholarly work as a poster or oral presentations.
A review committee will evaluate the applications on a competitive basis three times within the academic year and a limited number of awards are available in each cycle due to the limited available funds.
This is a competitive process. Therefore, submitting an application does not guarantee funds will be granted. Be mindful when making the travel plans. Please contact Brittney-Shea Herbert or Anne Nguyen directly for more information or if you have questions related to the travel grants.
Apply for a Travel Grant
- Must be enrolled as an IU School of Medicine medical student in good standing.
- Must be the presenting author (first author) of the poster or platform session at a national/international meeting. Only one person can be first author and be presenting a talk or poster. Note: We will only accept one application per presentation.
- Students who have received IU School of Medicine travel funding in the past, or a major award from the IMPRS program, are ineligible to apply.
- Maximum requested amount is $500.
- It is expected that the faculty mentor or department, in which the research or scholarly work was done, to contribute to the support of the student’s travel.
- Awards can only be applied to: registration fee; transportation; hotel accommodations.
- You may only submit a travel grant for one conference and one presentation per academic year.
- If you have been awarded the grant, you are asked to submit proof of attendance in order to receive the funds in your Bursar account. Upon your return, please submit a 1/2 page synopsis of conference and receipts (registration, airfare, and/or hotel accommodations).
- Cycle 1: Deadline September 30 (Conference Dates August 1 – December 31)
- Cycle 2: Deadline December (Conference Dates January 1 – March 31)
- Cycle 3: Deadline March 31 (Conference Dates April 1 – July 31)
Applications will be reviewed after the cycle submission due date.
To apply, fill out the application form, upload a copy of abstract and copy of official acceptance/notification (if applicable) to present for selection process.
IUPUI Graduate Office
Below you will find the 2018-2019 deadlines and date ranges:
||Travel Date Range
|October 15, 2018
||May 8, 2018 – April 30, 2019 (during transitional year only) – starting 2019 – 2020 Travel Date Ranges will be October 1, 2019 – April 30, 2020.
||By November 5, 2018
|March 15, 2019
||March 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019
||By April 5, 2019
Date ranges overlap to allow students the opportunity to know in advance to travel if they have been awarded a travel grant. Know that each application cycle we receive more applications than we are able to fund, thus this is a competitive process.
Guidelines, requirements and the application can be found on the IUPUI Graduate Office Travel Fellowship website.
For information on travel grants to attend National Scientific Meetings, it is encouraged to check if the conference is offering any travel grants. IU and IUPUI have limited travel funds available. For additional information, eligibility and deadlines, please visit the Graduate and Professional Educational Grants (GPEGs) sites.