For information on travel grants to attend National Scientific Meetings, it is encouraged to check if the conference is offering any travel grants. Below are the options available at IUSM and IUPUI.
IUSM Dean Office’s Medical Student Travel Grants
Purpose: The purpose of the grants is to help IUSM medical students defray the cost of attending regional or national scientific meetings to present their scientific research or other scholarly work. A review committee will evaluate the applications and the availability of the grant is on a competitive basis. To apply, fill out the application form, upload a copy of abstract and copy of official acceptance/notification (if applicable) to present for selection process.
- Must be enrolled as IUSM medical student in good standing.
- Must be the presenting author of the poster or platform session at a national/international meeting. Only one person can be first author and be presenting a talk or poster. Note: We will only accept one application per presentation.
- Students who have received IUSM travel funding in the past, or a major award from the IMPRS program, are ineligible to apply.
- Applications for the grant are expected to have a maximum requested amount of $500.
- It is anticipated that the faculty mentor or department, in which the research or scholarly work was done, to contribute to the support of the student’s travel.
- Awards can only be applied to A. Registration Fee; B. Transportation; and C. Hotel Accommodations
- You may only submit a travel grant for one conference and one presentation per academic year.
- If you have been awarded the grant, you are asked to submit proof of attendance in order to receive the funds in your Bursar account. Upon your return, please submit a 1/2 page synopsis of conference and receipts (registration, airfare, and/or hotel accommodations).
- September 30th for conference attended between September 1st to February 28th.
- March 15th for conference attended between March 1st to August 31st.
To apply, fill out the application form, upload a copy of abstract and copy of official acceptance/notification (if applicable) to present for selection process.
IUPUI Graduate Office
Below you will find the 2018-2019 deadlines and date ranges:
||Travel Date Range
|October 15, 2018
||May 8, 2018 – April 30, 2019 (during transitional year only) – starting 2019 – 2020 Travel Date Ranges will be October 1, 2019 – April 30, 2020.
||By November 5, 2018
|March 15, 2019
||March 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019
||By April 5, 2019
Date ranges overlap to allow students the opportunity to know in advance to travel if they have been awarded a travel grant. Know that each application cycle we receive more applications than we are able to fund, thus this is a competitive process.
Guidelines, requirements and the application can be found on the IUPUI Graduate Office Travel Fellowship website.
For information on travel grants to attend National Scientific Meetings, it is encouraged to check if the conference is offering any travel grants. IU and IUPUI have limited travel funds available. For additional information, eligibility and deadlines, please visit the Graduate and Professional Educational Grants (GPEGs) sites.