Class of 2019 Recognition Details
Timeframe: 12:30 – 4 pm
Important Notes on Timing: Students must arrive at 12:30 pm for check in and lineup. The processional starts at 1:30 pm, the ceremony continues from 2-4 pm.
Date: Friday, May 10, 2019
Place: Sagamore Ballroom at the Indianapolis Convention Center – 100 S. Capitol Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46225. Entrances can be found on Maryland Street and Capital Avenue. The Sagamore Ballroom is on the second floor closest to the corner of Capital and Maryland.
Parking: Downtown has many parking options. However, because this event occurs during a work day, there may be limited availability in some garages. Parking garages close to the intersection of Capitol Avenue and Maryland Street are the closest to where the Sagamore Ballroom is located in the Convention Center.
Special Instructions For Graduating Students
- Arrive at 12:30 pm for check-in and line up.
- The processional will start promptly at 1:30 pm.
- The speakers will start promptly at 2:00 pm.
- Wear professional clothing and comfortable, nice shoes.
- At conclusion of the ceremony, please return your gown to the collection boxes that will be placed throughout the Convention Center. Or you can mail them back with the return label received with the order.
Seating for guests with limited mobility
Ushers will make every effort to accommodate the parties of guests who use wheelchairs with appropriate seating. For the safety of all guests, some members of large parties may be asked to watch the ceremony from an area that is separate from the wheelchair section. Wheelchairs will be available at the accessible drop off entrances at Maryland Street and Capitol Avenue.
1. Nominate a Family Member to Hood You. Deadline: March 20 (optional)
Family members must be physicians to be eligible. Hooders must wear full academic regalia and will need to sit with the other hooders next to the stage.
2. Confirm Your Information in the Class Composite. Deadline: April 1
Confirm your information in the 2019 Class Composite by April 1. If you take no action, your photograph will be automatically included in the composite. Confirm the information here.
3. Order Your Cap and Gown. Deadline: April 5
IMPORTANT: Follow these steps closely to avoid confusion
- Go to this website to begin the ordering
- Click on ORDER NOW under Cap and Gown
- Next, select “IU – School of Medicine” from the dropdown box under IUPUI
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Once “IU – School of Medicine” is selected, the date Saturday, May 11 populates. That date is incorrect. IU School of Medicine’s Graduation Recognition ceremony in May 10. However, this error in the system will not affect your order.
- Choose “Doctorate” from the drop down menu for your degree type
- Click continue.
- You may notice the website states “If this is not your ceremony date and time then we are not currently taking orders for your ceremony. Please check back at a later date.” IGNORE this note and continue forward with placing their order.
4. Ensure your information is correct for the Recognition Ceremony and Senior Toast. Deadline April 12.
All eligible students will receive an email from MD Student News with the form to fill out by April 12.
The message with the form will be sent out with reminders on:
- 6 pm, March 25
- 6 pm, April 1
- 6 pm, April 10
- 8 am, April 12
5. Make sure your name is correct on your diploma
The Office of the Registrar sent all students an email in February 2019 showing how each student’s name will appear on his or her diploma.
If your name is correct, no action is required on your part.
If your name is incorrect or you would like to make an adjustment to the name that appears on your diploma, follow these steps:
- For a change to your last name, you will need to complete the ‘Request for Change of Name Form‘ and provide the required documentation and photo ID.
- If you need to make changes other than a last name change, please submit the name as you would like to it to appear on your diploma to email@example.com.
- Please note that all name changes must meet Indiana University’s Preferred Name Policy. All requests must include your University ID number.
6. Plan to attend the Senior Toast Celebration after the Graduation Recognition Ceremony. Deadline: May 1
Join the Class of 2019 with family after the graduation ceremony for an opportunity to honor graduating students and celebrate. Learn more about Senior Toast!
7. Prepare for graduation with final tasks. Deadline: May 1-8
All graduating students should visit MS160 between Wednesday, May 1 and Wednesday May 8 between 8:30 am-4:30 pm to do the following:
- Return of pager and mailbox key, if applicable. This is a requirement of graduation. If you are missing either of these, you may inform the office of this when you visit MS160.
- Pick up the Class of 2019 Composite.
- Pick up your portrait prints, if you have not already done so.
- Pick up Gold Humanism Honor Society cords to wear at graduation, if you are a member of GHHS.
- Pick up your Deluxe Graduation VIP Package, if you received an email informing you that you are one of the first 100 students to complete your GQ survey.
If you have any questions, you can contact 317-274-1965 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date Change FAQs
In 2019, IU School of Medicine’s Graduation Recognition moves from Saturday morning to Friday afternoon. Learn more about this change with these FAQs.
Why is IU School of Medicine’s Graduation Recognition date changing?
Indiana University and IUPUI have decided there will now only be one degree-conferring commencement ceremony in Indianapolis for all undergraduate and graduate students on Saturday, May 11, 2019. To avoid time conflicts, this means the IU School of Medicine Class of 2019 Graduation Recognition will now be held on Friday, May 10, 2019 from 2 – 4 pm at the Indianapolis Convention Center in the Sagamore Ballroom.
Will there be any changes to the school of medicine commencement format or program?
There will be no noticeable major changes. After the recognition ceremony, students along with their family and friends are encouraged to attend the senior toast (formally known as senior banquet and the senior awards ceremony), a semi-formal reception celebrating the graduating class.
Should medical students attend the IUPUI commencement program?
Students are welcome but not required to attend the IUPUI program on Saturday, May 11 at Lucas Oil Stadium in addition to the IU School of Medicine program at the Convention Center. Learn more about IUPUI’s commencement program.
How does hooding work?
Watch the Class of 2018’s hooding tutorial to learn more!
How many tickets will each student receive for IU School of Medicine’s Graduation Recognition ceremony?
Tickets are not required for graduation, but students should be considerate of classmates. Additionally, seats cannot be reserved.