Description: This course is for students completing a scholarly concentration product, following the completion of a scholarly concentration project. To earn a scholarly concentration, students must complete not only course work and a project, but also a final product that has been approved and agreed upon by a faculty member overseeing the scholarly concentration of choice.
Course Director: Deb Birnbaum, MBA, Scholarly Concentrations Program Director
Primary contact for Adds/Drops: Will vary by campus
Type of course: Flexible location, as designated by concentration host
By the end of this course, a student will be able to:
- understand the how to design a research project (PBLI1)
- complete a research project related to a scholarly concentration (PBLI1)
- identify and utilize research techniques appropriate to a research project (PBLI1)
- prepare a manuscript to be submitted for publication (publication not required) and a poster for IU School of Medicine Education Day that describes the rationale, approach and conclusions of a research project (ISC5)
Students will demonstrate what they have learned in the scholarly concentration project by completing and submitting a scholarly product. We want students to have the experience of submitting a manuscript. So, a scholarly product is a manuscript to be submitted to a peer-reviewed journal and a poster for presentation at a future IU School of Medicine Education Day. Publication is not required. An abstract does not meet the program’s requirement. Students will be expected to meet intermittently with a faculty mentor.
Estimated time distribution: 100% Laboratory/Scholarly Research Time expectation will vary based on scholarly project and product.
Through the following, the faculty mentor will assess the student using an established rubric and recommend Pass/Fail to the course co-directors who will assign Pass or Fail.
- Submission of final product to mentor, co-directors and for publication by January 31 of 4th year of medical school. (75%)
- Submission of proposal for poster presentation at IUSM Education Day. (25%)
Prerequisites: Scholarly Concentration enrollment
Interprofessional collaboration: No