Elective Policies and Forms
- Elective Policies and Procedures
- Elective forms
- How to create electives
- How to request an elective in E*Value
- Accessing elective rosters
Class of 2019 guide to fourth-year elective scheduling
Phase one of elective scheduling
Timeline: The first phase of elective requests will begin Friday, March 23, at 5 pm EDT and will close Monday, March 26, at noon EDT.
Scope: The first phase of elective requests will focus only on the first four rotations (June, July, August and September). These rotations are the most crucial in getting letters of recommendation and preparing for residency applications.
Process: Once the phase one request period closes, the registrar will process all requests based on career specialty interest. This includes whether or not you received a Sub-I early in the year in your area of career interest, availability and time of request.
All requests for phase one will be processed by 5 pm EDT on Wednesday, March 28. The registrar will reject any request made during this period for months other than June, July, August and September. The registrar will also reject any request with a date and time prior to March 23 at 5 pm EDT. If you have already entered requests for electives, you will need to remove those and re-enter them starting at 5 pm EDT on Friday, March 23.
Phase two of elective scheduling
Timeline: The second phase of elective requests will begin Thursday, March 29, at 5 pm EDT and will close Sunday, April 1, at 5 pm EDT.
Scope: This phase will again focus only on the first four rotations so that students who were not able to get their top choices in the first phase can make different requests for those months. As in the first phase, all requests are based on career specialty interest. This includes whether or not you received a Sub-I early in the year in your area of career interest, availability and time of request.
Process: All requests for phase two will be processed by 5 pm EDT on Tuesday, April 3. The registrar will reject any request made during this period for months other than June, July, August and September. The registrar will also reject any requests for this phase that are entered prior to the start time of 5 pm EDT on Thursday, March 29.
Special note about residency specialty: Please note that the registrar will do everything possible to make sure students who did not get a Sub-I in their career interest area get an early elective instead. This will ensure that all students have the rotations they need to get letters of recommendation for their specialties.
Phase three of elective scheduling
Timeline: The third phase of elective requests will begin Wednesday, April 4, at 5 pm EDT and will close Sunday, April 8, at 5 pm EDT.
Scope: This third phase will be an open request period for any elective month during the 2018-2019 academic year and will be processed based on availability, time of request and career specialty interest.
Process: All requests for phase three will be processed by 5 pm EDT on Wednesday, April 11. The registrar will reject any requests for this phase that are entered prior to the start time of 5 pm EDT on Wednesday, April 4.
Phase four of elective scheduling
Timeline: The fourth phase of elective requests will begin Monday, April 16, and will remain open until the end of the 2018-2019 academic year.
Process: At this point, students will need course director or proxy (whoever is listed in the elective course catalog as the contact) and lead advisor permission to add an elective. Permission to add must be attached to all requests in E*Value. Please do not forward permission to the registrar via email. Elective requests will be processed on a weekly or bi-weekly basis throughout the remainder of the year.
- You must attach permission to a request for any of the electives listed in the by 2018-2019 by permission only electives. You should secure permission as soon as possible so you can submit your request for the elective as soon as it opens.
- If an elective is not included in the by 2018-2019 by permission only electives, you will not need permission attached to your request during phases one, two and three.
- Phase four will require permission for all add requests.
- Any elective requests entered prior to the start date for each phase will be rejected—please follow the instructions and timeline so this process is fair for all students.
- The Manage Requests tool in E*Value is only for IU School of Medicine for credit electives found in the 2018-2019 electives course catalog.
- If an elective is not listed in the 2018-2019 electives course catalog, it is not being offered.
- Special electives must be approved based on the procedures and timelines outlined in the Elective Policies and Procedures.
- You can sign up for special electives any time during these four phases. Follow the instructions for requesting a special elective, and it will be scheduled by the registrar’s office upon approval by the elective subcommittee.
- Away rotations through VSLO require approval and scheduling through the registrar’s office—please see required documents and timeline listed under the Special Elective Procedures for Phase 3/MS4 Student.
- View the elective request in E*Value instructions
- Having a vacation month on your schedule for a month you would like to schedule an elective won’t cause any issues—the registrar will delete the vacation month as soon as an elective is scheduled.
- Keep in mind you have to complete seven electives and three core clerkships to graduate; however, all seven electives do not have to be scheduled immediately.
- You cannot add or drop electives within 30 days of the start of the elective.
- You cannot take the same clinical elective for credit more than once, including one that you might have taken as a third-year medical student.